Student clubs and organizations may be proposed by either students or a school faculty member pursuant to Board Policy IGDA. Applicants should confer with the building administration regarding appropriate organizational steps. Any student group seeking recognition as a student organization shall submit a written application to the Activity Director. Applications shall be made on District approved forms IGDA‐E1, Application form for School‐Sponsored Student Academic Organizations or IGDA‐E2, Application form for Student Organizations.
Category 1: School‐Sponsored Activities
Certain school activities are considered to be a part of the school program and are not required to request recognition when operating under the direction of the principal. These include, but are not limited to:
- School Yearbook.
- School Newspaper.
- Choirs and Choruses.
- Bands, Orchestra, and related ensemble.
- Forensics, Radio, and Thespians.
- Plays and Musicals.
- Pep Clubs.
- Student Council.
- Vocational Education Clubs.
- National Honor Society.
- Athletics and Intramural's.
- Formal grade level class organizations.
- School‐sponsored substance abuse and substance counseling groups.
- School‐sponsored outdoor and environmental education programs.
- Academic Competitions.
- Associated faculty provides.
- Negotiated Agreement defined.
Category 2: School-Sponsored Academic Organizations
- Direct extension of one/more classes.
- Not just abstract relationship to educational goals.
- Not related only to topics, broader curriculum.
- Enhance classes.
- Supplements course work.
- Sponsor must be faculty.
- Sponsor teaches core academic area.
- Sponsor is unpaid.
- Sponsor must attend all meetings.
- Sponsor supervises and advises.
Category 3: Student Initiated and Led Organizations
- Secondary only.
- Student Initiated and Led.
- Recognized, but not school sponsored or endorsed.
- Voluntary, open to all currently enrolled students at school.
- Must be a staff member.
- Adequate supervision of all meetings and activities to principal's satisfaction.
- Staff member does not sponsor, just provides general supervision.
- Staff member may not participate in club's activities.
- Staff member will not supervise events.